Sunday, February 19, 2012

I ♥ Me! #50

We have to empower our girls!




t's true, NOT everyone is born with high self esteem and self confidence. We're not all born natural leaders that are admired by the whole world. When low self esteem is taking control of your life and keeping you from reaching your goals and fulfilling dreams, it's time to take action and make a change. I always try to encourage my girls to to try everything, to reach for the stars and stay away from that little voice in their heads that says" "You can't do this" YES YOU CAN! But a lot of times I need a lot of persuasion, especially with one of my girls!!

As a mother of two daughters I know the importance of teaching girls how to love themselves unconditionally. And believe in themselves, and not to compare... which with twins is not an easy thing!

Did you know that 7 out of 10 girls believe they are not good enough or do not measure up in some way, including their looks, their performance in school or their relationships with their families and friends? It makes me sad to think of that high number!

When I read this statistic it made me wonder just when do our girls lose their self-confidence? When do they go from little girls who do not have a care in the world filled with confidence and self-esteem to girls who are filled with self-doubt who do not love what they see when they look in the mirror?

According to research, the self-esteem tipping point happens during the transition to teenage years. These years are the most crucial for girls; this is when they stop communication with us - the adults in their lives.

So we have to keep the communication lines open at all times during these teenage years, but even now as my girls are pre-teens I feel already that the chitter chatter is slipping away and I am reading and learning as much as possible to become more understanding of what girls are going through these years, in the hope to support them no matter what!

I remember my relationship with my mom, and it was NOT good. She couldn't handle my teenage years and of course in that time there was no internet or self help books about this subject, so we didn't talk at all.

I want to break that cycle and try to keep in touch with their needs at all times!

For girls a steady relationship with their dad is also very important, because a girl with a low self esteem will fall for the wrong guy, but if there is a strong example of a positive male role model in their lives I believe that the battle is already half won!

Luckily our girls have a good role model in Dirk, he is doting on his princesses all the time and compliments them, invest in them and LOVES them above all and everything!

Click on the picture to see a larger version to read the text as well....



Any tips of good books or websites on this subject are always welcome!!

What do you notice between the differences between boys and girls going through these hormonal years? Is it easier with boys or girls? What are your experiences? Share with me!

Mireille xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails