Monday, February 20, 2012

Greece or Bali?? #51

I am in dubio....

Where shall I go for the 10 week summer break in June/July when it is here winter! So I want to get away say 8 weeks.

Greece or Bali??





When I think about Greece, I think about the Acropolis in Athens, Ancient theaters, Greek Archeology & Mythology, the Greek islands like Santorini, Mykonos with their gorgeous beaches. Greek food like olives, feta, seafood, souvlakia, ouzo, retsina, baklava, moussaka, spanakopita etc.



I could take some cooking classes and renew my Greek food knowledge! We used to live on Rhodes before, so I am familiar with Greece, but this time I would go to places I have never been before. I think the girls would be intrigued by the old culture of Greece.

But then again...

Bali is so Zen!

When I think of Bali, I think of all the temples, the rice terraces, the beaches, the colorful festivals, the peace & zen lifestyle, the culture, and of course the food! Balinese food is heavenly! All the spices and herbs... YUM YUM!

I grew up with Indonesian food because my dad ran a few Indonesian supermarkets in Germany and Holland when I was a child. He started with a driving supermarket only with Indonesian food, called a Warung Keliling who drove door to door in Indonesian suburbs. So I am very familiar with dishes like Gado Gado, Satay, Nasi and Bami Goreng but I could evolve my cooking skills by taking local cooking classes in the open air cooking schools in between those lush and green gardens... Sounds really good to me!



I know this is a luxury problem, both countries are great! Fun, but so different. So I have to think logistically, what is easier and better to arrange? Because staying 8 weeks in a hotel, or house during high season is not cheap!!

So I am exhausting my options and will let you know which one it will be... but in the meantime, which country would you go to!
I would love to know!

Mireille xx

3 comments:

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

I think Bali, I wanted to visit greece when we were in Italy but we didn't have time, but they seem a bit angry right now, Bali seems so serene. I tell you such a terrible problem to have, what lovely place to go.........
Wow those baskets are amazing, I will never look at telephone wire the same.
The video's are great, you are so right they will stop doing that fun stuff I must video like crazy, I feel like I used to do it more, although I do try and catch Benjamin doing all his new things, but Maya will be the first one to stop wanting to be filmed.

I stress about the teenage years, when she doesn't believe everythign I say, and want to talk to me, its goign to be hard so I"m just going on one day at a time when we get to that age. For now she is full of self esteem and I love it, but I know school is hard and kids are mean, that I dread.

Isis Natel said...

I´ve been to both and LOVED both! As Leah said they are having some problems in Greece right now. I´ve been there in may and it was sooo warm, I can´t imagine during summer. Bali is farther, I think, or do you have direct flights there from ZA? Yeah... lots of things to consider!
Anyway, hope you enjoy the pre-trip! I think this is so much fun!

Unknown said...

Good post and Smart Blog
Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog Ancient Egypt and more The Dark Age in Ancient Greece and Responses thanks again admin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails