Saturday, May 14, 2011

My new favorite...

Vietnamese coffee!!

Wednesday I made a Vietnamese lunch (Beef Pho, fresh spring rolls, lettuce wraps and lychee-coconut desert) for my friends and after desert I made some Vietnamese coffee. I had these little percolators (called a phin = a single serve Vietnamese-style coffee filter) and is placed on top of a glass filled with condensed milk. for years in my cupboard and now it was the time to use them!! We bought them on our trip to Vietnam while we were living in Thailand, but as most of these things go you LOVE it while you are in the country but then back home it doesn't taste as well, because the whole atmosphere is not the same.

But now I took these little coffee brewing things out and served original Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk on the bottom and strong strong coffee on top!! Just YUMMY!! And now it is my new favorite!!



But you have to be patient, it takes at least 10 minutes for the coffee to slowly drop through... but worth it!!
You can make this into an ice coffee as well. The coffee and condensed milk is combined and poured into a glass filled with ice. You made yourself an à phê sữa đá, or Vietnamese iced coffee at home!! I am going to try that next!!



I am drinking it right now, the hot version, while typing this blog post :-)

And even a step further, you can make this into ice-cream, which I will definitely try another time, because this coffee taste SO good, the ice-cream version MUST be delicious, I found a recipe online.

Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream
Adapted from Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 cup water
1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon dark roast ground coffee, divided
1/3 cup whole milk

Using a Vietnamese-style coffee filter or French press, brew 1-1/2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of ground coffee to yield 1 cup of strongly brewed coffee.

Whisk together the condensed milk, espresso, milk and ground coffee. Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions or if you don't have one just mix the coffee with vanilla ice cream and re-freeze it again.



Enjoy your weekend!!
Mireille xx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails