Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Korean Dinner #11

While living here in South Africa I got more introduced to Korean food. Not just the only hot pot that you eat in the restaurants, no to proper home made Korean food!!

And I must tell you: I LIKE!!

It's a new combination of flavors for me... not like my usual South East Asian that I have been so used to. No this is a different way of combining great and yummy flavors.



Thanks to my friends Hyun and Stella they have been teaching me some Korean dishes, and I kind of combined them all together in my own fusion way! Just to mix things up a bit, I made it like a combined dinner and I am sure that Stella and Hyun are NOT making it like this, at least not combining like I did. But I had to think of my baby girls and what they like to eat for dinner, so I combined their most favorite of ALL, which is crispy flavored nori (seaweed) sheets with sushi rice and combined that with Bulgogi beef.

Then I also made the Goo Jul Pan, these are very thin pancakes with a topping of yummy ingredients, but the pancakes I didn't make, no I followed the lead of my friend Stella and pickled some horseradish root for 24 hours. First I cut them in thin slices and then I pickled it in vinegar:sugar:water = 1:1:1 and added a bit of salt. So instead of pancakes I used my slices of horseradish as a base.

I will tell you: THIS IS GOOD!!

As a topping I shredded carrots, cucumber, marinated some wild exotic mushrooms, and separated some egg yolks from the white and made a thin pancake from the whites and a thin pancake from the yolks, cut these in strips and you all top then on the sliced radish. To make it complete you add one of these sauces: Gyeoja & Kanjang dipping sauce and pop it in your mouth.

What an explosion of taste and texture this is!! YUM YUM YUM! I really can't get over it how delicious this is!!

You have to try to make this!! You can do this, when you follow the recipes!!

I will give you the links, if you promise me to try this and come back to me, and thank me for missing this the whole last decennial of your life!!

For the Bulgogi ~ marinated beef that I served with sushi rice and we wrapped it ourselves in crispy fried and seasoned nori sheets.

1-1.5 lbs. of thinly sliced rib-eye steak purchased from a Korean market. Or you can slice your own rib-eye or sirloin steak across the grain in paper thin slices. Partially freezing the beef helps with cutting clean slices.

Marinated at least for 1 hour in:
1/3 cup of soy sauce
3 Tbl white sugar
1 Tbl sesame oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 shallots, sliced into medium moon shaped slivers
2 green onions including the white parts, finely sliced into small pieces
2 Tbl toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp of fresh ginger, finely minced
2 pinches of black pepper
sliced mushrooms (optional)

Then up to the other exciting part of my dinner, the Goo Jul Pan. Really you have to make this once, and you will be hooked.
Here is the link to the recipe I used: I Korean Food

I looks more daunting then it is really. And if you skip the crepe pancakes and instead do the radish it makes it easier and I also believe MUCH tastier!!

좋은 날이 있다! = Have a good day! (in Korean)
Mireille xx

2 comments:

Miss Footloose said...

Mireille! I will do this! It looks absolutely hartstikke lekker! I'll let you know how it turned out.

Mireille said...

Great! Try it for real, it is so good!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails