Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Kiva

I just signed up on this website called Kiva. I hear you saying? What is Kiva?? Well, Kiva lets you lend to a specific entrepeneur in the developing world. You can choose the country, the person and the amount you are lending. It is such a great concept. I heard about it a while ago, but forgot to sign up. Then last night I was thinking about it again and so I did sign up just now and share with you the person I've picked to lend money to.

Let me introduce Phoebe Ikhiuwu to you. Phoebe Ikhiuwu sells traditional women's clothes (known in English as a wrapper). She is 41 years old and is married with four children. She is from Edo State, Nigeria. Phoebe has been in this business for the past 6 years. This she learnt for 5 years as an apprentice.
Phoebe is a LAPO client. She needs a loan of $700 to buy more inventory. This will help her to better serve her costumers.

Isn't this a great concept? With small investments you can make a huge difference to other entrepeneurs in developing countries. Isn't this one of the best ways to empower our neighbors, giving them opportunities to become economically independent, improve their standard of living, and alleviate poverty for themselves and their communities.

I like the idea that I am helping another female who is struggling to keep her family alive. I chose a country in Africa since we are moving to that continent pretty soon and I just love the fabrics she is selling. And who knows, maybe I can visit Phoebe some day? I wish her all the best and hope that you open your hearts and wallets and go to Kiva and support a person who needs it. GIVE BIG is Oprah's idea, it feels so good. Well, let me tell you...this feels good too although it is not as big as Oprah's giving, every bit helps. And this is a way that it is so personal and more important 100% of my donation goes to Phoebe! Go Phoebe! I wish you all the succes in the world!!

love, Mireille

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails