Monday, June 6, 2011

Orgasm in your Mouth....

These are NOT my words, but a friend of mine... and I will keep her identity safe... but in a local restaurant they also call it....
a wrap sensation!

So I see you thinking?? WHAT IS THAT??

Well....

I call it Miang Kam, which is a snack from Thailand that is super super delicious, you HAVE to try it!! It is SO GOOD!! It's a street food and every time I go to ChatuJak market, the biggest outdoor market in Bangkok I go to my favorite lady sitting on the side of the street and making these little parcels of pure HEAVEN!!



When I see this video, hear the Thai accent and see this delicious street food... I SO MISS THAILAND!!

So here the original recipe, it comes pretty close I must admit!! It is so YUMMY, try to make it and you will love it too!!

The only thing I can't find here are the betel leaves, so I used the bigger spinach leaves. The ones that are organic and a bit more crunchy. Very good as well.... the sauce is what makes the whole thing come together. A bit of an effort to make but WORTH it!!

From left to right: Red chillies, limes, ginger, shallots, peanuts and sauce in the middle. I left out the dried shrimp, since we had it during a book club meeting in the morning.

Miang Kam – Thai snack wrapped in betel leaf (or cha-phloo leaves or La Lop) or substitute with spinach leaves.

toasted coconut flakes
finely chopped bird eye chilies
finely chopped young ginger cubes
finely chopped shallots
finely cut lime cubes
toasted peanuts
toasted dried shrimp

Pile all the above ingredients on top of fresh betel leaves, drizzle over the sauce made from maltose and fish sauce and fold.

You will be AMAZED by the taste sensation!!

Pop them into your mouth and you'll find that they're so addictive that you can't stop!!

Ingredients Sauce
:

1 tablespoon shrimp paste, roasted until fragrant

2 oz fresh galangal, cut into slivers and roasted until fragrant (see note below)

1/4 cup grated coconut, roasted in a low-heat oven until lightly brown

4 oz small dried shrimps

2 oz shallots, peeled and coarsely cut

1.5 teaspoons fresh ginger, sliced

8 oz palm sugar (broken into small chunks)

2 tablespoons table sugar
salt for seasoning

Method: Sauce
:

In a mortar and pestle, pound together the shallots and galangal until fine (note about galangal: it's ok to use dried galangal as long as it's placed in a dish of lukewarm water for a few minutes to reconstitute).
Add roasted shrimp paste, ginger, coconut and dried shrimp, and continue pounding until smooth.
Remove the mixture and place in a pot with 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, add palm sugar and table sugar, then reduce heat and simmer, wait until reduced to 1 cup or a bit less.
Taste, and adjust by adding a bit of salt. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl.

The choice of what leaves to use is up to you. Some use lettuce or spinach leaves due to ready availability, but to get an authentic flavor you should use the fresh cha-phloo leaves.
These leaves are also known in English as Betel Leaves, or Piper Sermentosum.
In Vietnamese language, these leaves are labeled as La Lop.



Serving
:

Roast the coconut in a low-heat oven or dry roasting on stove until lightly brown. Spoon the roasted coconut into a serving plate.
In separate small bowls, arrange each filling ingredient listed above. With a fresh wrapping leaf in hand, fold it once across the bottom then sideways to form a pocket. Place about 1 teaspoon roasted coconut in the leaf together with a small amount of each filling to create a bite-sized quantity.

Spoon the sauce on top, pop in your mouth and enjoy!

PS: I am sure this blog title will get some attention... and I wonder how long it will take before it hits my most popular post! LOL
Mireille xx

1 comment:

Wendy said...

All I keep thinking of is that line from When Harry Met Sally when the lady in the restaurant says, "I'll have what she's having."

Gotta try these...and I don't know why I didn't when I was in Thailand!!! Next time round.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails